Saturday, March 23, 2013

Hope walks out of the cave

Thought of the day: Fasting Hopelessness

Hope walks out of the cave

The lyrics to this song reminded me of the hope that was whispered from God's Spirit to my broken soul as I took courage to leave the cave. 




"A philosopher is like a prisoner who is freed from the cave and can now see reality as it truly is."- Socrates 

A philosopher is a person who seeks wisdom or enlightenment.

A few years ago, I had a friend tell me it was time to leave the cave. The only reason I was still in the cave was because someone I loved dearly was "stuck" in the cave. I had tried for years to help her see that her view was distorted by darkness and lies.
I had come to a point in the relationship that the only way to help her was to leave. 
My hope in making that decision was that someday she would follow. 
The only way she would follow was to see that life for me was better outside the cave than her life inside the cave. The hard part of this decision was that I had to commit to not turning back. I had to prove once and for all that following Jesus was the only way to freedom. 

It was time to stop talking and start walking. 
"if you’re going to talk the talk, you've got to walk the walk"

I was filled with doubt, I was filled with fear.
 My biggest questions were.. 
Will she ever follow? 
Will she think we left her? 
Will her feelings  of  what she sees as abandonment aid in the death of her hope to find freedom?

I began to pray.
I asked for truth
I asked for wisdom
I sought Godly counsel 
I put her in Gods hands
&
I began to walk as I held on to His promises.

"And I will bring the blind by a way that they know not; in paths that they know not will I lead them; I will make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight. These things will I do, and I will not forsake them."-Isaiah 42:16



God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.

Psalms 46:5



But the LORD says, "The captives of warriors will be released, and the plunder of tyrants will be retrieved. For I will fight those who fight you, and I will save your children. Isaiah 49:25



The beginning of the journey was dark. The only light seen was through the eyes of faith. 


Send me your light and your faithful care, let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. Psalm 43:3

Seeking and following Jesus led me to finding His care that slowly changed me to become a light of hope for her. 

My hope was that she would look out from the cave that held her captive to see new life and that change was possible. 

For most of us, there is a season in the cave. 
I'm going to borrow the words of a song that perfectly put to words how I felt at the beginning  of my journey from the cave to new life.
"The Cave"
Mumford and Sons

It is a season where it's empty in the valley of your heart and you realize that the harvest of this time has left no food for you to eat. 

It is in this place that you hear God's "SPIRIT" say to your broken "Soul"..

"It's empty in the valley of your heart
The sun, it rises slowly as you walk
Away from all the fears
And all the faults you've left behind

The harvest left no food for you to eat
You cannibal, you meat-eater you see
But I have seen the same 
I know the shame in your defeat

But I will hold on hope
and I wont let you choke 
On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
and I will change my ways 
I'll know my name as its called again

Cause I have other things to fill my time
You take what is yours and Ill take mine
Now let me at the truth
Which will refresh my broken mind

So tie me to a post and block my ears
I can see widows and orphans through my tears
I know my call despite my faults 
and despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
and I wont let you choke 
On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
and I will change my ways 
I'll know my name as its called again

So come out of your cave walking on your hands
And see the world hanging upside down
You can understand dependence 
When you know the maker's land"

I especially love the ending to this song. You really feel as if your coming out walking on your hands to see the world upside down.. Everything that pertains to walking out the gospel on this side of heaven seems upside down in this world.. but you understand it when you understand the maker of this land:)


No comments: