Friday, March 29, 2013

Hope is "GOOD" this Friday



Thought of the day: Fasting Hopelessness

Hope is "GOOD" this Friday
because 
Hope trusts.
10,000 reasons why and still counting


As I look at today and what it represents I find with in me a heavy heart.
 I know what it feels like to lose a son.
It's hard to imagine that I could have this experience in common with God..
 but I do:(
I often wonder what God was thinking. I also wonder what Jesus was thinking. 
At the cross we get a glimpse
 
"Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?"
Matthew 27:46
 
This cry from Jesus's heart brings a stabbing pain to my own heart. I could not imagine hearing those words from my own son before he died. 

In this moment.. as we hear Jesus cry out to His Father... we must TRUST that the Father's heart is "Good" towards His son. 
 
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

This passage is telling us to acknowledge Him ,
to know Him in all our ways
because He will make the crooked places straight. 

The crooked places are places of disappointment. 
Places where we do not know how to navigate. 
They are sometimes places that we've prayed
for a different outcome than what we were given.
 
What do we do in these places?
What I have learned 
in this place
we sit at the table prepared before us by God Himself and feast on His Truth.
 
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

Psalms 23

So many times we hear this scripture quoted at funerals. I heard it at Jack's and many others. I used to hate this scripture... but now.. finally .. I see truth in it that brings comfort to my broken heart and soul. 
I am now going to show you my true colors.. what really motivates me.. 
my hate for the enemy

This scripture say that God prepares a table for me in the midst of my enemies. 
What does this mean? 
A table is a place of communion, feasting, hospitality .. a place for an intimate gathering.
It is at this place
the table
we sit at in the midst of the crooked places
 
in the midst of the chaos of disappointment
 
Even as we walk through the valley of death



We find the table of communion
and we feast on the GOODNESS of God!
 
Let me share with you how I picture this 
God, has prepared a beautiful table.. Candles, a beautiful linen table cloth, fine china and silver. The table is loaded with all my favorite food.. 
Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes, collard greens, cornbread and some cold ice tea with lemon
Not to leave out desert and a glass of my favorite wine.
The music that is playing in the background brings such joy to my soul and spirit that I can hardly stay seated..
But I do
I lean over and grab a chicken leg and take a big bite 
and then give a small nod of acknowledgement to the one sitting on the other side of the table
The enemy himself
he's not at the table..
because the Lord Himself is at the table feasting with me
The enemy is sitting in the distance, handcuffed, watching me feast on the goodness of God 
right in the midst of what he intended for my bad
God is actually making it for my Good.
In the end it all turns out good. 
I will see Jack again
because we saw Jesus again.

The tomb is empty
I am determined to allow my life to reflect this truth on this earth until I take my last breath.

The power of God in our life is to demonstrate the
power of the Kingdom of heaven here on earth. 
The power He gave me was to still have a "yes" to Him even after loss
because I understand that in the Kingdom
Jesus overcame loss with the power of Resurrection!
So, with this truth in my heart I will lean on enduring faith so I can receive the promises of Heaven. 

31 It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
32 Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you endured in a great conflict full of suffering.
So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.
36 You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.
Hebrews 10:31-32;35-36













No comments: