Monday, December 21, 2009

Waiting



"He'll wipe every tear from their eyes.
Death is gone for good—tears gone, crying gone, pain gone—
all the first order of things gone."
Revelation 21:4 (MSG)


Today is December 22, 2009. It is a day I find myself reflecting on the past. The past concerning my own life and the life of our Savior. On my personal calendar this week, I reflect on Jack's birthday into Heaven. On the Saviors calendar, I reflect on Christ's birthday into this world.
The topic this week on the advent calendar is "preparation". It is the period of time between conception and the delivery of a child who came to save us from death, for good.
For mothers, this side of Heaven, this is a time of "nesting".. washing, sorting and putting into place the items needed for the arrival of the newest member of our family. It is also one of the most exciting times for a mother, longing to see her child. During this time we prepare for the unexpected day of arrival. What seems to be the longest nine months of our lives is quickly forgotten when we at last see our precious child for the first time.. we are surprised by joy!
As a Christian, I am suppose to long for Jesus Christ return. And when the world's injustice, pain, and senselessness bear down on me, I do so long for that day. I find myself wondering, "How long can you wait, Lord? How can you let us keep going in this mess?"
I already know the answer. It's His grace again... giving me time to get my rooms in order, to get my mind and heart on track so that when He comes, I won't have to regret it. So while part of me cries out, "Come, Jesus!" the other part says, "But don't rush!" There is so much to be done before you're here!"
Advent is a time of remembering how the world waited- and prepared- and despaired for the Savior to come. One day, He came. The world has never been the same. Advent is also a time of looking forward to his second coming, of waiting- and preparing- and never despairing. What the angels told the disciples on the Mount of Olives so long ago they say to us today; "This same Jesus will come back!"
How can I prepare for the Lord's second coming? After speaking to the Corinthians about the next advent, Paul concluded: "So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless" (1 Cor. 15:58) I can prepare for Jesus' coming by committing myself to do his work. Even the smallest act is not in vain.
The months waiting for our babies were forgotten when we first held our new born child. These are Aha moments as we meet the person to whom we have already committed our body, hearts and souls to.. When the Lord comes again, "in a moment, in the blink of an eye"(1Cor. 15:52), the long anticipated. prepared-for day will no longer be someday, but today. It's only a dull picture of the divine magnificence, like the baby in a mothers womb whom she knows she loves and yet has never seen. I also finally will see my Lord face to face. Come, Lord Jesus, come! May I be found prepared, even if you come tonight!

3 comments:

Barb said...

Now I need Kleenex! Love you, my dear friend! My life is SO MUCH richer with you in it! Praying for you lots these days!!

Much love,

Barb

juliempeck said...

Love you girl!!!

Anonymous said...

interesting blog
God bless you and your family